1-800-PetMeds Fetch/468x60.gif

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Soapbox or Adventures in Freelancing

Although I've lived in Cincinnati for a year, the city still feels very new to me. When classes were in session, I hardly ever went anywhere besides campus and the grocery store. In the past few months, I've slowly gotten to know my neighborhood but I've been to few places outside Clifton and the Gaslight District and I know very few people outside the UC  English department. Fortunately, an online publication called Soapbox has become my source for all things Cincinnati--and one of my few sources of income.

I've recently begun writing short articles on local nonprofits, some of which can be found here and here. Conducting interviews forces me to come out of my hovel and find out what the community has to offer. While I'm not currently in the market for a Kombucha brewing workshop or an excuse to march down the streets of Covington wearing a decorated shoebox on my head, I now know where and how to engage in such activities and how people like me can lend a hand and have a blast doing it.

I'd encourage anyone in the Cincinnati area to subscribe to this free weekly publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment